Let’s be honest, golf isn’t easy, is it?
Iron play is arguably one of the most challenging parts of the game, and if you have a higher handicap, you’ll want to make sure you have a set of irons that is competent and forgiving.
Forgiving irons are a necessity to enjoying the game more. How many times have you had the yips with that 5 iron off a long par 3?
Some days we’re not always in the best of form out on the course, and that can’t be avoided, we know that.
But what you can do is help yourself by investing in a set of irons that offers plenty of forgiveness and won’t punish you as much as the next best set if you don’t strike it in the middle every time.
That’s why we’ve put together this buyer’s guide as there are a lot of brands out there who offer different things when looking at buying a new set of irons.
Or maybe you’re interested in irons that will offer you the most distance? Whatever you’re in the market for, our NCG buyer’s guides have you covered. But for now, let’s get stuck into the best irons for high handicappers…
- Buy’s guide: The best irons for distance
- Buyer’s guide: The best forgiving putters
- Buyer’s guide: The best golf balls for distance
The best irons for high handicappers
Best overall forgiving irons for high handicappers
TaylorMade Stealth Irons
Over the past few seasons TaylorMade has led the way in the game improvement iron category, with their offerings proving to be a highly attractive choice for golfers that require their clubs to offer a little bit of help. Previously both the Sim and Sim 2 range of irons had two different heads to choose from – the standard and also the slightly larger OS, which was aimed at the higher handicap range. The release of the new Stealth iron sees a move away from this structure, as TaylorMade believe they have produced the complete game-improvement golf iron that will suit a broader cross section of abilities than ever before.
If you are in the market for a new set of irons that has the potential to take your game to the next level, then the TaylorMade Stealth irons would be an excellent choice. With stellar aesthetics, unrivalled performance and exceptional feel these are one of the finest game improvement sets ever released into the golfing world.
- Cap Back Design With Toe Wrap Construction
- Fast & Extremely Forgiving Face
- Thru-Slot Speed Pocket Provides A Boost To low Face Strikes
- Echo Dampening System Removes Vibrations & Improves Feel
Best Callaway forgiving irons for high handicappers
Callaway Golf Rogue ST MAX Irons
The Callaway Rogue ST Max irons are their latest game improvement iron and will suit a broad cross section of handicaps with an appealing midsize head that is packed to the brim with the latest in club technology. They are an ideal choice for the golfer that is looking for incredible speed, forgiveness and strong all-round iron performance. The Rogue ST Max irons have plenty of bag appeal, with the classic aesthetic of the brushed chrome beautifully offset by the Black Rogue ST insert in the back of the head.
The Callaway Rogue ST Max iron really comes to life when you strike the ball, providing high launch characteristics with mid to low spin that can only serve to increase the distance of your iron shots. Callaway have designed this fantastic iron to ensure that the descent angle will be steep enough to allow your approach shots to easily hold the green.
- Attractive Midsize Game Improvement Iron
- Provides Industry Leading Performance
- Hollow Body Construction
- Extremely Long & Forgiving
- Urethane Microspheres Provide Exceptional Feel
- Increased & Controllable Ball Speeds
Best Titleist forgiving irons for high handicappers
Titleist T400 Irons
The Titleist T400 iron represents Titleist’s first launch in the super game improvement iron sector and is aimed at the golfer with a slow to moderate clubhead speed. With a wide body shape, it is an extremely confidence inspiring club when placed behind the ball, and its sure to give even the most inconsistent ball strikers the feel-good factor when they are about to swing.
The lofts on the T400 are some of the strongest on the market and the longest club available is a 5 iron which comes in at 20 degrees. Up to 100 grams of tungsten is cleverly placed in the longer irons to allow Titleist to make the centre of gravity extremely low, offering high launching shots that belies the stronger lofts. The result is that the Titleist T400 is one of the longest, if not the longest, iron on the market today and opens up a whole new world for golfers that have historically struggled with distance.
- Amazing fast Super thin L-Face for incredible balls speeds across the clubface
- Strategically positioned weight in the long irons to lower CG and help launch the ball high and long
- Split-sole design offers both the easy use of a wide sole and the precise turf interaction of a narrow sole
- Hollow construction offers incredible forgiveness and excellent distance
Best Ping forgiving irons for high handicappers
PING G425 Irons
If you are in the market for a new set of irons that will be long and forgiving, with superb feel and a towering ball flight then the PING G425 would be a superb choice. Scottsdale golf are proud PING stockists and we will be carrying huge amounts of stock to enable you to get your favourite clubs quicker than ever before.
- New VFT construction produces incredible performance
- Shorter blade length for improved aesthetics at address
- M.O.I increased by 3% over the G410
- Black & Chrome colour scheme gives the G425 a premium look
- Explosive performance combines with superb stopping power
Best value for money forgiving irons for high handicappers
Honma GS Steel Irons
Meticulously crafted in Sakata, Japan, GS Irons are designed to optimise speed, distance, with exceptional straight flight trajectory for golfers of all abilities.
Variable width speed slots promote higher ball speeds, with wider toe slot reducing loss of speed on off-centre strikes. The thin club face produces exceptional ball speeds, while strategically placed tungsten maintains stability through each strike.
Vertical face ribs provide added rigidity and strength, for consistent spin rates and shot shaping.
- Deep Cavity / Wide Soles
- Flip Slot Technology
- Variable L-Cup Face / 360-Degree Heavy Steel Undercut
- 1-Year Guarantee / Nippon NS 950 NEO Steel Shafts / Honma Tour Velvet Grip
Best easy-to-hit forgiving irons for high handicappers
Cleveland Launcher XL Golf Irons
The Cleveland Launcher XL iron set offers something as standard that many golfers try and achieve when purchasing split sets of golf clubs with the longer irons offering more help with ball striking and forgiveness, and the shorter irons offering much more in the way of control. Cleveland have achieved this by producing the 4-iron through to 7-iron in an easy-to-use hollow headed design whilst the 8-iron to Gap-Wedge are precise cavity backs.
- XL Head Design – Increased Head Size Over Previous Models
- Extremely Forgiving & Stable With An Incredible M.O.I
- Mainframe Technology Increases Ball Speed – Even On Off Centre Hits
- Counterbalanced For Increased Club-Head Speeds
- Loft Specific Grooves
Subscribe to NCG
The post Buyer’s guide: Best forgiving irons for high handicappers appeared first on National Club Golfer.